When it comes to your child’s smash cake session, there are 5 tips I want to provide you with to make it successful. This is such a milestone in their life (and yours) that we want to make sure we capture it perfectly. With that being said, here are the best 5 tips to making your child’s smash cake session a success.
- Don’t forget the cake 🎂. Seems easy enough, but let me tell you, this has happened before. Make sure when you are gathering everything around for the session. Hint: put a post it note on top of your pile that says “CAKE.”
- Baby’s mood. When we go to schedule your smash cake session, I always ask what their typical eat and sleep schedule is. I do this for a reason.
- Right after a nap is a great time – IF your child doesn’t take too long to wake up and “be themselves.” I’ve had sessions where the child took the entire session to warm up. So if this is the case, wake your little one up 30-45 mins before the session.
- During an eating period is fine too because we can easily make them smile with puffs or shaking a container behind the camera. 😉 *unless your child is a “monster eater,” then feed them before the session! 😆
- Teething 🦷. If your child is teething at the time of the session, I would HIGHLY suggest smoothing them with medicine. I hate to tell you to do this, but it will not only calm you but it will make the session run smoothly. I’ve shot smash cake sessions where the little one cried the entire time. 😢 I felt terrible! They only get a smash cake session once and I want to make sure that one hour is successful, not frustrating for you and I. 🙃
- Have no expectations. During the photo session I do not want you to get disappointed by your child’s behavior. So please do not expect that your child’s session is going to be PERFECT. (i.e. they are NOT going to cry and they are going to DESTORY their cake 😅) We have no idea how your child will act the day of the session, and that’s OKAY! If they cry (GREAT!), don’t touch their cake at all (totally FINE!) or maybe they won’t even smile…IT’S OKAY! 😊 This list could go onnnnnnnn! But I want you to know that I will do everything I can to make your child’s smash cake session successful. TRUST ME! 😊
- Bring all the things! If your child has a favorite snack, toy or person even (like da-da), bring them! Little ones like to feel comfortable. Therefore, anything we can do during their smash cake session to help with that, will help make it run smoothly.
As we know (because we are their parents 😜) babies will do what they want. They really have no idea how much OUR lives revolves around them 😂. Smash cake sessions are fun and can be so successful if we each keep these top 5 tips in our mind. So let’s have fun, let’s make my studio messy and let’s schedule your child’s smash cake session today. 📸